Tuesday, June 21, 2011

This witty, yet inoffensive title will draw you in to reading this

Yes. The title speaks for itself. I am at my internship and really don't have much to do. So I am catching up on my blog. CapCor is at zero, there was only one letter to fold, and no interesting briefings are going on.

Here is an update on the Fast and Furious briefing I went to last week.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/06/21/us.fast.and.furious/

So yesterday, despite having a rather terrible cold and not wanting to go, turned out to be worth it. First, I learned how to do the press clips for when our press person is gone all next week. It's just all the articles from the various local papers that we think the Congressman would find interesting. It's not a huge deal learning how to do it, but it is rather fascinating to learn.

Then I went to the Whip meeting. Basically it's where the White House, Senate, and House and all the subcommitees have representatives who all come in to talk about what is going on that week on Capitol Hill. That was rather cool. I love going to things and shadowing other people's jobs, so I enjoyed that. We got to go to the Capitol and I absolutely loved it. I get to go behind all the doors marked staff. Yeahhh.

After that I ate lunch with a fellow intern and then we went to this Making the Most Out of Your Internship kind of thing. I felt bad because I was that person who was blowing their nose the entire time. But it was cool. The panelists were people who had been interns before and knew what we all experienced before. So they spoke, then it went into a Q+A session. This was followed by a networking session.

Let's just say that I hate the world networking. I prefer the word making connections. Networking just seems so slimy to me, like using people to get ahead in your own carer. Connections and making friends. That's what I'm all about. I know the rest of the world refers to it as networking, but just the word in general, I don't like. But I met some very nice people here, so that was enjoyable. Then I came back and was all done with my internship basically.

Now on to this morning. Wow, so today I woke up feeling terrible again. I was internally debating on whether or not to come like 20 times. I decided to go. Then we got to the metro and got on the train. We waited for like 10 minutes and didn't go anywhere. Then they told us the metro was out of service and we all needed to get off. So by this time, there was a lot of people on the platform and we were all sardines. But eventually they moved the train and got the next on pulled up. We got on that train and eventually made it to my stop. But I was like 15 minutes late.

The weird part was after we got off the metro, there was a lot of police, an ambulence and a lot of police cars. Then there was this guy who was sitting on a stretcher, with his legs covered, and was apparently handcuffed. You see a lot of interesting things in D.C. But that is it for now.

1 comment:

  1. Alicia, this is "Aunt Marie" in Arizona; Your depth and thoughts you project are excellent. You are definitely not just a bystander to events happening around you, but making evaluations that will lead you to a future that will lead others to evaluate their every day purpose in contributing to the future of our country. Thanks again for posting this blog and I will continue to follow your daily journey. We are about ready to celebrate our 50th Anniversary in Arizona and certainly understand your not joining us at this time. We have over 20 of my parents grandchildren (our nephews and nieces) attending with their families to join us in this celebration of family, which is the foundation of our country. I always felt that if everyone put family first and strived for the values our country and God have given us, we would eliminate poverty and selfishness. Our love to a very special niece. Aunt Marie

    ReplyDelete