Tuesday, June 7, 2011

First day on the Hill

So today was the first day of my internship. So my roommates and I rode the Metro to our internship. Luckily one of my roommates and I intern in the same building at the same time, which is very nice.

Went up, found the office. Walked in behind some guy who sat down at the front desk. They all introduced themselves but as many of you know, I am bad with names. Anyways, I am attempting to keep this blog as nameless as possible. So there are two other interns, including myself, who started today. It was really nice. They seem super sweet.

Like typical first days, I filled out forms for a while. It was simple enough. Then I read some guides to being an intern and it was a lot to absorb. It was all about phones and mail and since I'm more of a visual learner, it wasn't the most fun I had today. Then I ate lunch. It was beautiful because I could see the Washington Monument from my place in the cafe. It was breathtaking. Then I went back and we had an intern meeting. There are about 9 of us, or apparently 11 total. So that's nuts. But they all seem like really great people. One guy has been interning there for 3 summers, but he's only a freshman in college I think. Now that is dedication.

Then we celebrated our Chief of Staff's birthday since that is tomorrow. It was a pretty fun way to get to know everyone in the office and what their personalities are like. Then we finished some forms, mailed our badge letters, and folded some envelopes. And that was my snazzy first day in a nutshell. I got some blisters for it, lots of knowledge, and a nice intern notepad. All and all, I'd say it was successful. Everyone seems nice and they all know how to smile. Which is what I want in an office. And my email has house.gov at the end. What more could a person ask for?

So after my roommate and I rode the metro back, I went to Whole Foods to buy groceries. First time ever buying groceries for like myself. It was pretty interesting. They didn't have any clementines. It made me sad. But it was mega weird buying like bananas and grown up food. Then my other roommate and I went out and had some delicious pizza, some of my friends skyped me, and here I am :)

Tomorrow we get to take a tour of the Capitol. So tomorrow will be filled with fun pictures. Oh wait, I promised room pictures. Here they are.







Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment