Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Life is Good

You know that feeling when you enter your work or do some activity that you love? Every single time I walk up the hill from the metro, I get to see the Capitol. This is my ohmygoshilovemylife feeling. The center for our nation's politics is literally across the street from where I intern. It takes my breath away every time.

So today, we started off with CapCor training, which is our constituent mail letter system. It's pretty confusing but after this training, I feel a lot better about it. The interns and I who were doing it were all late there though. It was pretty far away walking. That was how my morning started. Then we went back and I had to copy and pdf some articles. The adobe is too old and I couldn't
figure out how to combine pdfs. So that was like 20 minutes struggling. At least i know how to make copies. I'm pretty awesome at that.

Then I attempted to go hear Donald Rumsfeld speak. They have these intern lecture series with a lot of great speakers. But since making the pdfs took so long, I didn't get there a half hour early. So we met some interns who got turned away because it was full. Apparently one person arrived an hour early and still didn't make it in. You'd think they'd do it in a larger space since he's so popular. So I was kind of bummed about that. But Friday is the past NYT Opinion's Editor, so I'm totally going to hear her speak. Then I ate lunch with some of one of my interns friends.

Something that I found particularly interesting that someone said. We were just sitting there eating when one intern said, "we look like a college catalogue." So I looked around, and it was so right. We had one Mexican, one African-American, one Asian and me, the Caucasian. At school and mainly in my hometown, almost everyone is Caucasian. It's so invigorating to be here in DC. I've met so many different people of different races and backgrounds. I don't even give it a second thought when I ate with these people. It really opened my eyes to how diverse Washington DC is. And I absolutely loved it.

Finally, I finished my memo for the Veterans sexual abuse briefing. I learned how to do press clippings. I folded some letters. Then I went home. So today was officially my first time going the wrong way on the train. I think I wasn't thinking very clearly and it stinks because I waited forever for this metro train, it was mega crowded, and then I realized I wasn't supposed to be in China town. But we went to this pretty sweet Chicago style pizza place. Best deep dish pizza i have ever had. And I've had a lot of Chicago style pizza. And then played some frisbee in the dark. So as this title says, "Life is good."

No comments:

Post a Comment