General Colin Powell. He is such an amazing person and is really, really funny. There were a ton of interns there. We left so we'd be 45 minutes early. Once we got there, the halls of the capitol were packed. This has happened to me twice before for these intern series lectures and twice I wasn't able to get in because they ran out of spaces. But this time, we made it in! I was sitting up in the gallery, so I had a nice view. They don't allow cameras or cell phones in there though. Some interns got to sit on the House floor, which I am majorly jealous of. I'm just glad though that I got to see him speak.
Colin Powell spoke about his life. He actually had a 2.3ish GPA in college, except for in ROTC, so they said he should go into the military since he was good at that. The most important thing that I think he said was that, it's not what you do and who you are in college, it's what you become. He told stories about New York and stories about how he really isn't anyone famous anymore, since he no longer is the Secretary of State. He was really funny, which was surprising.
He also took questions at the end, which was rather cool. Sadly since I wasn't on the House floor, he didn't take any questions from the gallery. But I learned a lot from him. It was really cool to see someone who I had seen on TV, speak in person.
Then after work, where I worked on updating press contact lists and a social media project another intern and I are working on, I went to Arlington Cemetery. One friend here had recommended going to the Sunset Parade at Arlington, which is on Tuesdays at 7pm. I am so glad we went. Here are some highlight pictures I took.
It was incredible. They had the Marine band play. They played Pirates of the Caribbean play at one point, which was really cool. They also had the silent guard, who does all these tricks with guns. It was amazing that they all do it in sync and no one drops anything. It was incredible. I really loved it. And that was my day :)
No comments:
Post a Comment